RIM core feature
RIM stands as a formal methodological framework to set up and organize dynamically collaborative processes aiming at either building up new knowledge or carrying out innovative Projects.
RS inherited features
RIM manage descriptions of psychic entity, based on the RS definition of anticipation and of its specializations. A psychic entity may consist in:
- A description of a “known” entity which contributes to organize either the building of new knowledge or the assessment of the compliance of some realization with what is expected (for Product development : process IVVQ);
- An hypothesis, prediction or Project of realization (for industrial Product development: technical specification, design and architecture documentation, integration and validation plan …).
RIM specific features
In the industry, RIM may be regarded as a PLM environment fully customizable, endowed with the possibility to define as many points of view as deemed necessary depending on users’ profiles, while guaranteeing global consistency. Its application scope is wide open: organization and processes, definition and qualification of managed entities, configuration management, documentation management … RIM application is not restricted to this specific domain but it has been a starting point.
RIM formalism relies on RS to put as disposal:
- An environment to set up or import RIM schemes : organization concepts, points of view, managed entities and associated characterization ;
- An environment to customize HMI, which may be common to different points of view.
A Project management environment is automatically generated out of the adopted RIM scheme and of the customized HMI.
Let’s stress that a RIM environment customized with the “RSE” profile, together with RSE IDE, form a comprehensive and consistent Project development environment to take full advantage of RS breakthrough.
RIM development encompasses:
- Conceptual and formal developments within RS framework : RIM specification ;
- A RIM IDE prototyping ;
- The development within of IDE of RIM schemes depending on the adopted system engineering paradigm: ISA and ISAF (Peugeot Citroën Automotive proprietary standards), RSE, … ;
- Training sessions on environment developed after these profiles ;
- RIM environment continual assessment, involving several hundreds of designers using RIM operationally to develop automotive engine control systems.